Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Merzbaulicious

Was digging into the nature of sound/music/language today to figure out how my latest sound piece/wearable project was going to take shape. I kept running into images of Kurt Schwitters Merzbau - his zany installations that he filled his house with. The shtick with these is that he transformed the space he lived in with sculptural installations that were reminiscent of grottos and the like.

But after reviewing more of the images - I then started making a slightly stretched and aesthetic connection between the Merzbau and the image of Commes de Garcons Warsawian Guerilla Store. The Commes de Garcons line has built this tradition of building guerilla stores around the world to house their designs for all but a year. Then the store closes and another begins again.

So perhaps there is an ultimate installation idea here to execute to surround my little wearable projects? The concepts of dadaistic anti-art as a home good PLUS the transience of a guerilla store? I think there is definitely a charge for nomadic/female subjectivity here.


No comments: